We are NOT the Laodicean Church!

In chapters 2 and 3 of the book of Revelations, Jesus sends a message to seven churches that existed in the first century. Many Christians today believe that these personal messages where not just given to the actual church in question but also prophetic for a certain church age. Below is a table which presents what is believed. The dates given to each church period are not written in stone but given to simply help us visualize their historical time.


ChurchEphesusSmyrnaPergamosThyatiraSardisPhiladelphiaLaodicea
Verses in
Revelations
2:1-72:8-112:12-172:18-293:1-63:7-133:14-22
Time Period A.D.30-100100-313313-606606-15171517-17391739-18501850-

The common belief is that we are in the Laodicean church period.
Here is why they think so:


VerseExplanation
I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other!
So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. 3:15,16
The deeds (works) of the church are "lukewarm" (Ungodly or worthless), not hot or cold (Godly and worthy)
 You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see. 3:17,18Church's are focused on wealth, goods and worldly success but are really destitute of Godly works.

I believe we are in the Philadelphia church period and here is my reasoning:

VerseExplanation
I know your deeds. See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut. I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name. 3:8The Gospel has reached every corner of the world and we have a great "open door" like never before in history.
Our evangelical churches have "little strength" and yet have kept Jesus's word and name faithfully.
Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come on the whole world to test the inhabitants of the earth. 3:9Our churches' are being persecuted in a seductive spiritual warfare and we are "patiently enduring" the onslaught. Jesus promised that this church would not see the "hour of trial" or the tribulation period that will affect the "the inhabitants of the whole earth".
I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take your crown. 3:10Jesus also speaks of His coming to this church. In other words, the Rapture.

As you can see by verse 9, Jesus is telling the church of Philadelphia that it will not see the great Tribulation and in verse 10 of speaks of He's coming. Neither of these promises have been fulfilled which makes us the Philadelphia church.

If this is correct, the Laodecian church would then represent the believers that will form the last church during the seven years of the great Tribulation period.

With this new perspective, let's consider what Jesus wrote for the Laodecian:

VerseExplanation
I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see. 3:18The Laodecian church might become rich from all the wealth left behind by the Raptured church. Just a possibility. They would be a church of young believers and probably frightened just like the first disciples. Jesus commands them to go out and have faith "salve eyes" to pass through the "fire" of persecution which will come from the hand of the Antichrist.
Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent.
Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me. 3:19,20
 "Be earnest", why? Because they have only 7 years before His return. "Here I am! I stand at the door" confirms Jesus is on the verge of returning. "eat with that person" can allude to the Great Supper of the Lamb after His return.

The conclusion is clear, the Laodecian church is the church of the Great Tribulation. They are exhorted to suffer the great persecution because the time is short and Jesus's return is around the corner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus's return between 2028-2031 - A Biblical approach to estimating the time

Churches need to help single people get married

Is the star of Bethlehem a REAL star?